A Short History of St. Christopher's...
St. Christopher's Church started with a Certificate of Incorporation of St. Christopher's Roman Catholic Church, April 12, 1940. The early years of St. Christopher's are integral with the name of Monsignor John P. Phelan, who was then pastor of St. Catherine's in Hillcrest. As the catalyst in forming St. Christopher's as a child of the mother church, St. Catherine's; he had early dreams of evangelizing and spreading and expanding where the people were. St. Christopher's was dedicated on September 18, 1940 by Bishop Foery. It remained a Mission of St. Catherine's for eight years.
In the Summer of 1948 a Rectory was built. Our first resident Pastor was Father Edward Simpson.
During 1949-1955 Father John McCarthy was Pastor. He was followed by Monsignor Thomas J. Hayes from 1955-1957. Then, in 1957, Father John Donovan was appointed Pastor and on July 1, 1970, Father John O'Brien became Pastor. Father Robert Brennan was appointed Pastor in 1975 and served until 1978.
Father Donald VanAmburgh became Pastor in July 1978. He was followed by Father Edward Zandy in 1987. We were pleased to have our former Pastor, Father Donald VanAmburgh, back with us in September of 1998. He is presently serving in this capacity.
And of Fr. Donald VanAmburgh...
Reverend Donald C. VanAmburgh is a native of Johnson City listing St. Catherine's Church as his home parish. He began his education at Port Dickinson Union and graduated from Binghamton North High. After studying at Harpur College in Endicott, Assumption College in Windsor Ontario, and St. Andrews Seminary, he completed his theological studies at St. Bernardís in 1960. He was awarded a Masters in Psychology/Guidance from Scranton University and Cornell University. Bishop Foery ordained Fr. VanAmburgh on February 2, 1961. He was first appointed Parochial Vicar of Our Lady of Good Counsel in Endicott and later Parochial Vicar of Our Lady of Sorrows in Vestal. He then received a second appointment as Parochial Vicar to Our Lady of Good Counsel in Endicott. From 1967 to 1978, he served as Principal of Seton High. Following this appointment, he served as Pastor of St. Christopherís Parish in Binghamton and in 1987 was appointed for a second time as Pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows in Vestal. In 1998, he returned to St. Christopherís in Binghamton where he continues to serve.