As we approach the summer months, we once again start the readiness process for our Schuyler Catholic Community, for the reception of the sacraments of Confirmation & First Eucharist.
In the past years, we have gone to family preparation for First Penance/Eucharist, & Confirmation. We as the parish family have been included in this process by praying for our Confirmation & First Eucharist candidates for many years.
On SUNDAY - JUNE 4th After the 10:00 a.m. Mass, we will be meeting (in the chapel) with candidates & parents; as well as any adult candidate for Confirmation, that show signs of READINESS to receive First Eucharist/Penance & Confirmation in the fall & spring of 2000 & 2001. THIS MEETING IS A MUST, since we will be conducting interviews during the month of June for candidates & parents in regards to First Eucharist, & for candidates only for the reception of Confirmation.
Sacraments are not to be administered simply because of age.
TO HAVE THE DESIRE TO BE AN ACTIVE MEMBER IN OUR COMMUNITY & EVIDENCE A READINESS FOR THE SACRAMENTS! For First Eucharist some 6-year-old may be ready for this sacrament, & some 7-year-old may not be ready.
In regards to Confirmation, some 10-year-old may witness READINESS, while a 16-year-old does not. Anyone, who will be 10 years of age up - this includes ADULTS that have not been confirmed, and show signs of READINESS; & DESIRE to be confirmed, please come to this meeting.
For First Eucharist anyone who is or will be 7 years of age by June of 2001 & witness READINESS should also attend this meeting.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF READINESS?
The FAMILY is the primary place where children are formed in
faith - DOES
YOUR FAMILY PARTICIPATE IN THE LIFE OF THE COMMUNITY IN THE
· WORSHIP-FORMATION (education - not just enrolling a child in Rel. Ed., but seeing to it that the child is present for class for at least 2 years before enrolling in a sacramental process) & service?
· Has your child received appropriate formation for his/her age?
· Does your family pray together at home?
As parents are you willing to commit to the continuing
formation of your
child in worship, formation, & service?
THE READINESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL INVOLVES:
· A person must be baptized & have the use of reason (about the age of 7)
· Does the person express a desire to celebrate Confirmation or First Eucharist?
· Does the person participate in the worship life (Weekend Eucharist) of the community on a REGULAR BASIS?
· Has the person been formed in faith in an age appropriate manner?
· Is there a COMMITMENT from this person to CONTINUE FORMATION & PARTICIPATION in the worship life of the community?
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF READINESS ON THE PART OF THE PARISH?
· Sacraments are community celebrations; therefore the PARISH has a responsibility in sacramental preparation. Does the community welcome children into its life?
· Does our parish provide you (parents) with necessary support & information to enable you to fulfill your role as primary educator of your child?
If your answers are Yes! Then you've already taken your first step in this sacramental process.
If No, then start today on working on READINESS, so that you can join us next time around.
More Information on Confirmation and Readiness
Back to Parish Home Page