Catholic Mission Schools in
Mary's Primary School St. Mary's Sandakan, has the
unique distinction of being the oldest school in Sabah. It began with the acquisition of 5
acres of land in Sandakan by Monsignor T. Jackson, the prefect Apostolic of the Mill Hill
Order of Missionary Priest in May 1883. In July 24, 1883. Rev. Father. Prenger and Fr.
Pundleider began the first school in Borneo, St. Mary's School.
The first pupils, 5 in all, were housed in a kajang hut. In February 1884,
Fr. Pundleider left Sandakan to open up Bundu Mission. However, in November 1885, Fr.
Prenger was ordered by Msgr. Jackson to leave because " Sandakan unhealthy, many
Chinese sick, no good water and Fr. Prenger often ill."
The closure of the school was temporary. Rev. Fr. J. Byron, on his visit
to Sandakan in July 1886, found 26 Catholics there. However, it was only a year later that
Fr. Byron was able to re-establish the Mission and School in Sandakan. On August 15, 1887
Fr. Byron re-opened St. Mary's School, but only 1 boy turned up for registration.
Untaunted, Fr. Byron continued his efforts. Slowly, the enrolment rose to 12. By 1888, a
new building was built in order to cope with the rising student population.
The War years did not seem to have affected St. Mary's unduly and a major
mile stone in the history of the school was reached with the appointment of Rev. Fr. A
Stotter to the Rector of Sandakan in 1920. In 1923, he invited two De La Salle
Brothers from Hong Hong to take over the running of St. Mary's School. Shortly after Fr.
Stotter returned to Europe to attend the Chapter of his Congregation. On his return
in1926, Fr. Stotter saw the need for a bigger school and a site was prepared. A new
3 storyed wooden building was completed in 1929. The ground floor comprised of classrooms;
the first floor made up of class rooms and rooms for the priests. The third floor was
In 1927, Rev. Fr. B.J Davis came to Sandakan and and was put in
charge of St. Mary's the following year. In 1931, he entered some candidates for the Hong
Kong Local Exams, with great success. The following year he switched to the
Cambridge Locals, also with success. St. Mary's became officially recognised as the centre
for Cambridge Local Examinations.
However, war broke out in 1939 and North Borneo was under Japanese
occupation from 1942 - 1945. It was in 1943 that the Japanese razed St. Mary's to
the ground. There was neither Church or School standing. The period after the war belongs,
rightly to, Rev. Fr. Anthony Moulders. He was visionary, architect, planner, contractor,
all rolled in one, in the difficult process of reconstruction after the devastation of the
war, and credit for putting St. Mary's back on its feet should be given to Fr. Moulders.
On his arrival in Sandakan in 1952, he wasted no time in getting down to business. Through
his tireless efforts, not only 1 school, but 2 schools were opened. In 1953, he built a 2
storyed 11 classroom school besides the church. But it was soon found to be too small and
inadequate for the numerous students whose education had been disrupted by the war and who
had a lot of studies to make up for.
In 1954, Rev. Fr.J.Van Haaren obtained a large piece of land at Mile 2
1/2, Labuk Road and he constructed a school to house the secondary school students while
the previous school was turned over exclusively to the Primary school, being know as St.
Mary's Primary School bandar (photo).
In 1991, Mr. Francis Tan took over as Headmaster. A catholic, he has
done a lot in the beautification of the school and gave the school a facelift.
Likewise in the field of academy, the school also excels in their annual UPSR
Go to Top
Mary's Secondary School
The history of St. Mary's Secondary Boys School is
incomplete without going back more then a century to the Catholic missioneries who started
the St. Mary's Primary Boys School back in 1883.( Please
refer to the St. Mary's Primary School above ).
St. Mary's Secondary School was officially declared
open in December 1954. There were rooms for 5 classes and rooms for the priests and a
chapel ( the present integrated Sc. Lab.) Expansion grew apace, and in 1959, a modern two
storeyed eight classroom block was completed by Fr. Crowther ( the present Form 3 block )
and for the first time, science was introduced as a subject. St. Mary's now had 292 pupils
and 11 teachers. To cater for the smaller children a primary feeder school was started
with 4 classes from kindergarten to primary 3. It was named Our Lady of Fatimah School,
and classes were held in the afternoons. In 1962, Our Lady of Fatimah School was handed
over to the Franciscan Sisters who moved to a new building and renamed the school St.
Cecilia's Convent Secondary.
In 1963 saw a new milestone in the annals of St.
Mary's School, when the Mill Hill Fathers invited the De La Salle Brothers to take over
St. Mary's Secondary School. The school population was now 320 boys in 8 classrooms.
Rev.Bro. Fridolin became the 1st principal of the School, while Rev. Bro. Xavier was put
in charge of the primary school. Further expansion was in store: in 1966, a 3-storeyed
reinforced concrete modern building was erected with 3 well-equipped science laboratories,
a new school office, and a staff room plus 5 classrooms ( the present Form 6 block ). The
project cost $300,000.00 and as usual, the people of Sandakan, well-wishers, benefactors
and old pupils rose to the occasion and donated generously. Hence it was only right that
the first Form 6 class on the east coast of Sabah was started in St. Mary's in 1967.
Pupulation was now 480 boys in 12 classes. Rev. Fr. Raphael Egan was at the helm until
1971, with Rev. Bro. Frederick assumed Directorship of the school.
The helm changed hands again in 1973 when Rev. Bro.
Finian was appointed Director of the school. By now the school population has expanded to
about 800 with a staff strength of 31. Various extensions were made, a basketball cum
volleyball court was built with the help of the old boys. In 1974, Bro Finian embarked on
a 2 storeyed building comprise of a School hall and a Libaray. In the midst of this
extension, Bro. Finian was replaced by Rev. Bro. Peter Ng. The new hall was declared open
by the Resident of Sandakan, Datuk Ben Stephens. By 1976, a new basketball court and a
tennis court were added to the facilities of the school, and St. Mary's was tge best
equipped school in Sandakan.
The population had by now risen to about 1000 pupils
in 25 classes with 38 staff. Performances both academic and on the sports field were
gratifying. St. Mary's was tops in all the schools for the H.S.C. examinations for the
year 1976-1977. St. Mary's also scored a first when one of its faithful sons Simon Fung
became the first Bishop of Sabah.
A grand Centenary Celebration was held in 1983 to
commemorate the 100 years of St. Mary's and tribute to the selfless Pioneers, Mill Hill
Fathers, De La Salle Brothers and Teachers who have been associated with it since its
inception in 1883.
The school has expanded, facilities for the students
population of 1144 have been brought up to date, academic standards continue to be good.
As Rev. Fr. Hurley had said back in 1920, " St. Mary's is the oldest school in
the country, with a wonderful tradition behind it, and its Old Boys in the top place in
Government and commerce as a glorious witness to its greatness." The present
Principal, Miss Yap Pak Soon with her 65 teaching staff and 12 non teaching staff
pledge to continue this great tradition which has always been the desire of its
founding fathers. .
Go to top
St. Mary's Convent
4 years after re-opening the St. Mary's Boys School in August 15, 1887,
Fr. Byron foresaw the need for a Girls' school. He traveled to Hong Kong to collect funds
for the new school he was planning for the girls. He also tried to recruit schoolmaster
and school mistress. He was able to open a new convent school on November 5, 1891, and not
only that, he also obtained 4 Franciscan Sisters to run the school. The new school cost
$4,600.00 and so began St. Mary's Convent. Education in Sandakan was thus consolidated and
assured for some time to come.
The school was originally housed in a simple attap-roof building. The
first floor was the living quarters of the nuns. Another part of the first floor was
occupied by the boarders, orphans and babies. The ground floor was used as classrooms. It
was estimated that there were about 100 occupants comprising of boys and girls who stayed
in the convent as full-time or daily boarders.
The Japanese Occupation from January 21, 1942 created havoc to the school.
The European priests and the Blue Systems namely Mother Immaculate, Mother Aloysius,
Mother Francis and Sr. Consolate were taken prisoners at Berhala Island. The 4 pioneering
local Blue nuns were left on their own to take care of the boarders on their own.
Two days before Christmas in 1942, the Japanese Military issued a three
day notice to evacuate the whole mission school in Sandakan. The convent thus became the
living quarters for the Japanese soldiers. There is still a tunnel behind the present
convent which serves as a reminder of the Japanese occupation.
The European nuns were sent to the main prisoners camp in Kuching, Sarawak
in January 1943 and remained there until the Japanese surrendered on September 2, 1945.
When the white nuns returned to Sandakan, they found the town completely
devastated. The convent that they had built was completely destroyed. Sr. Edwarda, Sr.
Cletus and Sr. Thaddeus had to start from scratch to rebuild the convent. One can
visualise that the period after the war was a state of confusion both social and
economical. However, with unshaken faith on God and determination, and with help from the
local people, they managed to put up a building and started a new chapter in the education
of young Sandakanites.
In 1954, Sr. Henreitta and Sr. St. John came to help with the
administration and erection of the new school building which is the present St. Mary's
Convent. Since then, the school has gone on track and achieved excellent academic
results in the Government examinations.
Today the school has sixteen classes split into morning and afternoon
sessions with an enrolment of 684 students and a staff of 36.
As a result of the increase in enrolement both in the kindergarten and
primary schools, the nuns' living quarters which was part of the school building was moved
to a newly built convent nearby in 1980. Likewise, the kindergarten has also moved to a
new three storyed building in December 1990. With limited room for expansion, plans are
made to relocate the school to Mile 2 behind the present St. Mary's Secondary School in
The construction of the new school building was completed in early 1998
and by May 1998, the students of St. Mary's Convent will be moving into one of the most
modern and spacious school in Sandakan, thus entering into a new era in the
education of young Malaysians undertaken by the Catholic Mission.
The Franciscan Missionaries Sisters of St. Joseph have left us a school of
good reputation which has always maintained a high level of excellence both academically
and disciplinary. It is with deep appreciation that we pay tribute to the Founders
of St. Mary's convent for their invaluable dedication and service.
The headmistress, Mrs. Rose Solibun, a Catholic together with
her staff pledge to undertake to continue the same spirit in upholding the heritage of
St. Mary's Convent which had been alway the desired of the founding Blue Sisters.
St. Mary's Convent
We Salute Thy Name
We shall continue to
Proclaim Thy Name
Before the St. Cecilian's Primary School was built, there was a
co-education Primary school at St. Mary's, Labuk Road. It was known as Our Lady of
Fatima and Rev. Fr. Crowther was its director.
In 1963, Mother St. Leonard built the St. Cecilian's Primary School and
some of the boys and girls were transferred from Our Lady of Fatima to this new school. In
1966, the St. Cecilia Convent Secondary School was built next to the primary school block
and was officially declared open by the Honourable Datuk OKK Mohd Yassin on December 1,
1966. The whole of St. Cecilia's School was converted into a pure secondary school when
the primary school was dissolved and the students left to join the St. Mary's Convent
Primary School in Town.
The founder, Rev. Mother St. Leonard continued to run the school as its
principal which until then was confined to lower secondary education. In 1967, Form 4 was
started and the first batch of Form 5 students sat for their Senior Cambridge Examination
in 1968. In the same year, Mother St. Leonard was replaced by Rev. Mother Francis Theresa.
The era of the Blue Sisters came to an end in 1971 and Miss Dora Ho was
appointed acting principal in June 1971.
St.Cecilia continues to excel both in academy and in other related fields
of education . The present principal is Mrs. Ngiam Eng Hong. With a teaching staff of
59 and a student population of 1563, St. Cecilia Convent stands today as one of the
most prestigeous schools in Sandakan.
Go to top