HOME
|| ARCHIVES || BULLETIN BOARD || CEMETERY || CONTACT || CORPORATION || DAWSON ROAD || DONATIONS ||
|| FINANCIAL SUPPORT || HISTORY || J-B THIBAULT ~ THIBAULTVILLE || MAP& LINKS|| MUSEUM || PROJECTS & REPAIRS ||

THE DAWSON ROAD

The Dawson Road runs from northwest Lake of the Woods to the Red River Settlement in Southern Manitoba. Utilized for transporting passengers, freight and baggage, this land and water road was surveyed by Simon J. Dawson in 1858 for the Canadian Government. Its 861 km (538 miles) were built form 1868 to 1871 with the purpose of providing work in order to alleviate the famine in the Red River Valley and to create a route for settlers and the Canadian troops to suppress the growing unrest of a North West Rebellion of 1869. After the CPR was established in 1885, the route fell into disuse except for local traffic. Since 2005, a group of interested residents headed by Roger Godard, is identifying and re-claiming the Dawson Road from Richer to the North West Angle.
Patricia Gendreau, archivist
Enfant-Jésus Heritage Site, 2011

DAWSON ROAD MAP - MANITOBA ARCHIVES

MAP - COURTESY OF THE MANITOBA ARCHIVES