On June 7, 1954, the late Cardinal Cushing appointed the Rev. Earl T. Lyons as the founding pastor to establish a parish under the patronage of St. Barbara, the first parish of that name in the Archdiocese. Father Lyons took up residence at St. Charles Rectory for several months while searching for a suitable setting for a church building.
In the meantime, as the pioneer members of the parish will recall, Mass was celebrated in the Parker School during the summer of 1954. Naturally, the hall was too small for the size of the growing parish and each Sunday the crowds were standing outside on the lawn. Fortunately, during that summer every Sunday was bright and clear. Not even one drop of rain fell on the congregation.
In the fall, with the cooler weather , Mass was celebrated in the American Legion Hall. Eager men and women would work every Saturday night to prepare for Holy Mass the following morning. The spirit of the people was unsurpassed -- all so eager to help. The Rectory at the time was at 234 Cambridge Road.
Land was purchased from the Doherty estate and construction began in 1955. St. Barbara's was consecrated on December 4, 1957 and dedicated by Cardinal Cushing on December 15, 1957. The new church contained a beautiful and spacious auditorium where functions are still held. The spirit and loyalty of the parishioners is so close that St. Barbara's is still known as the "Family Parish."
Due to failing health, Father Lyons was forced to retire in January of 1958 and Father James I. Carrol was appointed to replace him. The new Rectory was built in 1959 along with the extensive parking lot that surrounds the church. Many of the furnishings of the church and rectory were the result of gifts and donations made by parishioners. On November 18, 1975, Father Charles Anadore succeeded Father Carrol as pastor. Under his guidance the parish continued to prosper and grow. The life of any parish gets its impetus from the love, care and concern of the people who live in the parish. But much of this spirit in generated by the clergy called to serve God's people. In this, St. Barbara's Parish has been abundantly blessed. And this is no less true with the arrival of Father Vin Mellone who came in 1989 on the retirement of the beloved Father Anadore. Father Mellone added many new and exciting functions and activities to the parish life. In June of 2000, the current Parochial Vicar, Father Tom Rielly arrived fresh from St. John's seminary where he attended after 17 years in the teaching field.
St. Barbara's Parish is now in its fifth decade of existence. Those years have seen enormous changes in the world at large, the church universal, and in the lives of St. Barbara's parishioners. Over this time, the parish has established a reputation throughout the Archdiocese for its warmth, generosity and faith. May He bring into completion the good work He has begun here.
|1954||Rev. Earl Lyons is founding Pastor of St. Barbara's|
Women's Club, Men's Club (Holy Name), Adult Choir, Altar Servers, Ushers, Religious Education
|1955||Church building started|
|1957||St. Barbara's consecrated by Cardinal Cushing|
|1958||Rev. Jim Carrol is 2nd pastor of St. Barbara's|
|1963||Holy Name faded out|
|1965||Valentine Dance ( Renewal of Marriage Vows)|
|1968||Leader of Song|
|1973||Charismatic Prayer Group|
|1975||Rev. Charles Anadore is 3rd Pastor of St. Barbara's|
|1979||Lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, Pro-Life, Fall Festival|
|1981||Marriage Preparation Presentations|
|1986||Wedding Rehearsal Schedules|
|1987||Irish Night, CALM|
|1989||Rev. Vincent Mellone is 4th Pastor of St. Barbara's|
Bible Study, Finance Council, Youth Ministry, Single Adults, Junior High CYO
|1990||Pastoral Council, Parish Show, RCIA, PASA|
|1991||Ministers of Care, Ministry Fair, Women's Sodality (Ladies Sodality and Women's Club merged), Young at Hearts (seniors)|
|1993||Contemporary Music Ensemble|
|1996||St. Barbara's is on the Web|
|1997||St. Barbara's Parish Council meets with those of St. Anthony's, St. Charles and St. Joseph's forming a cluster of Woburn parishes to join together in activities common to each parish.|
|1999||Craft Fair is instituted; the first St. Barbara's Art Auction is held in Fr. Anadore Hall|
|2000||Major renovations to church, rectory and parish hall|
Return to St. Barbara's Parish Home Page