The servers are responsible for supporting the priest, deacon/acolyte, and eucharistic ministers in making the liturgy flow smoothly. They carry various sacred objects and lead processions, contributing to a reverent and prayerful atmosphere for liturgy.
- have a deep love of God and respect for the liturgy
- be alert and attentive
- be able to observe and respond as part of a team
- Check in with the Liturgy Coordinator at least 15 minutes before liturgy.
- Get dressed in the alb with cincture and cross. Be sure to select an alb that fits you.
- Be attentive to see if the presider, liturgy coordinator, deacon/acolyte needs you to do something.
- Prepare the candles for the procession.
- Go to the front of the procession and stand ready with your candle to walk down the aisle.
- Walk down the aisle behind the processional cross. Keep your candle at the same height as your partnerís candle.
- When reaching the base of the altar table platform do not bow but walk directly up the stairs Ė one on each side of the altar table.
- Place your candles in their stands and go to your seats.
- Get the Sacramentary from the side table and bring it over to the deacon/acolyte.
- Return to your place until the deacon/acolyte returns the Sacramentary to you. Then take the Sacramentary and return it to the side table.
- Sit during the Liturgy of the Word and listen carefully to the scripture stories.
- After the General Intercessions, bring the Sacramentary, the chalice, and the vessels of water and wine over to the deacon/acolyte who will be standing at the altar table.
- The deacon/acolyte will place the chalice and Sacramentary on the altar and hold the wine and water for the priest. After the priest has poured the wine and water into the chalice, return the vessels to the side table.
- Pick up your candles and proceed down the altar steps to the back of the church.
- When the gifts are prepared, lead the gift bearers down the aisle. Come directly up the altar steps, one on each side. Stand on each side of the altar table (facing the assembly) while the gift bearers place the gifts on the altar. Leave enough room for the gift bearers to pass between you and the altar table.
- After the gift bearers have placed the gifts and descended the altar steps, replace your candles in the stands and take your seats.
- During the Eucharistic Prayer stand with your arms at your side and bow whenever the presider bows. During this Prayer thank God for everything: your parents, your brothers and sisters, your teachers, your coaches, your pets, your home. And donít forget to pray for others as well.
- During the Lordís Prayer pray with your arms outstretched.
- Share a sign of peace with those around you.
- Stand in your place to receive the Eucharist.
- Be seated while the Eucharist is being served to the assembly.
- Sing the Communion song along with the assembly.
- After the Communion Rite hand the Sacramentary to the deacon/acolyte.
- Return to your place until the deacon/acolyte returns the Sacramentary to you. Then go to that person, take the Sacramentary and return it to the side table.
- At the conclusion of the liturgy take your candles and walk to the bottom of the platform steps and stand just behind the presider and deacon/acolyte facing the altar.
- Do not bow when the presider bows.
- Turn around when the presider turns and walk down the aisle behind the cross bearer, keeping your candle at the same height as your partners.
- Before you put your alb away see if there is anything you can do to help the liturgy coordinator, the deacon, the adult deacon/acolyte or the presider.
- Smile and be happy that you have served your parish.
- Find out what the general format for the General Intercessions is.
- Call the parish office to see if there are any special intercessions that should be announced. (E.g., Sick or deceased parishioners, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.)
- Write the general intercessions in easy-to-read sentences.
- On occasion write other prayers or invocations as required.