THE PREPARATION OF THE GIFTS AND THE ALTAR
- The assembly is seated while the gifts and altar table are prepared.
- The presider is seated throughout this preparation rite and approaches the altar only after the table is set.
- The deacon or the adult acolyte directs this preparation rite.
- The music ministry sings an anthem or invites the assembly to join in song.
- The greeters pass the basket while assigned Eucharistic ministers dress the altar table with a cloth.
- When the collection is gathered a greeter brings the basket to the altar table.
- The Eucharistic ministers assigned follow immediately carrying the vessels of bread and wine for all to see. The ministers then place the bread and wine on the altar table. The deacon or acolyte pours wine and water into the chalice.
- The presider may approach the altar table when the gifts are ready.
- When the music or singing ends, the assembly stands, the presider says, “Pray sisters and brothers, etc.”
- The presider then says the Prayer over the Gifts.