LITURGY AT SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL PARISH
- Sacristan prepares vessels, vesture, books and all other requirements for liturgy.
- Ministry coordinator sees that all ministries are represented and prepared.
- All ministers are present and ready to carry out tasks.
- Music ministry is in place. Final rehearsal is completed.
- A good period of silence occurs before the opening song to create a prayerful atmosphere in the church. Ministers stand quietly in the main aisle ready to begin the procession.
- Those who arrive late are encouraged by the greeters to be sensitive to the quiet time as they take their seats.
- The assembly rises and sings the opening song. The procession begins after the 1st verse. (The start of the procession may vary. Watch for a signal by the presider.)
- The procession moves through the church with dignity and spacing in this order: incense bearer, cross bearer, candle bearers, reader, deacon or adult acolyte along side the presider. Families or guests of honor walk behind the candle bearers and before the reader.
- When a deacon is present he carries the Book of Gospels and walks in front of the presider. The reader does not carry the lectionary.
- When there is no deacon the reader carries the Book of Gospels.
- The adult acolyte or deacon and the presider reverence the altar with a deep bow and then a kiss.
- Without bowing the deacon (or reader) places the Book of Gospels on the altar table.
- At certain times incense may be used to show reverence for the altar table.
- All other ministers do not bow but go immediately to their places.
- The presider and the deacon (or acolyte) go to their chairs.
- At the end of the opening song the presider greets the assembly, says a word about the scriptures, and introduces the penitential rite. The deacon if present or the priest reads the penitential litany. The singing of the “Hymn of Praise” (“Gloria”) follows according to the liturgical season.
- The presider proclaims the opening prayer. The deacon or adult acolyte receives the Sacramentary from a server and holds it for the presider.
- After the prayer the deacon or adult acolyte returns the Sacramentary to one of the servers who will return it to its table.
- The assembly is seated.