Work in committee and participate in planning for and decorating the environment for worship throughout the liturgical year. More information on this ministry will be forthcoming.
When assigned, bake the bread for the celebration of the Eucharist according to approved recipes.
CHILDREN’S LITURGY OF THE WORD MINISTERS
- At home pray and reflect over the scriptures for the weekend.
- Arrive at the church at least 20 minutes before liturgy.
- Check the room where the liturgy will be held for climate control, lighting and required furnishings. The children usually sit on the rug.
- Remember that the liturgy is not a classroom experience.
- There should be a table in the center of the room with a candle or two and a crucifix. This is the table that the Lectionary should be placed on as the children enter the room. Flowers during different times of the year would be a nice touch.
- Before the parish liturgy starts tell the presider that there will be a children’s liturgy of the Word.
- At the conclusion of the entrance rite, come forward with the children. Hold the Lectionary aloft or have one of the children do so.
- Lead the children to the room.
- Welcome the children with a greeting of peace and an explanation of the liturgical season and why you are meeting in a separate place (to better understand God’s Word).
- Before proclaiming the Gospel say this prayer or something similar: “Loving God, help us to listen and hear your Word today and everyday. Help us to live like you teach us with your Word.” Then, say or sing, “The Word of God is in our heads and on our lips and in our hearts.”
- Stand to sing the Alleluia and then proclaim the Gospel and share a homily along with some dialogue or other activity.
- Announce the General Intercessions. Allow time for the children to share their joys and sorrows.
- Take a collection and have the children’s basket brought up during the Preparation Rite in the church.
- Don’t forget the time. Have someone check to see how far along the liturgy is in the church.
- Return to the church.
- After liturgy see to the good order of the room you were in.
- Arrive at the church at least 20 minutes before liturgy and then minister according to the rites of the church as customary.
- Note the Guidelines for the adult acolyte especially during the Communion Rite.